Have Your Cake & Eat it Too!

As a Mommy of three and wife of 11 years, my daily routine is a whirlwind. In an effort to carve out some "me time" and explore a creative outlet, I have picked up a new hobby. Baking! This blog highlights my journey into baking and chronicles my sporadic adventures.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Angelfood Cake FAIL ~ A Boxed Mix to Boot

Overcome with the temptation to whip up a sweet treat after refusing to feed my children caffeine and rum laden tiramisu cupcakes, I whipped out the nearest cake mix and decided to try an angelfood cake.  My Mother in Law had recently given me a neat pan that would work well for this type of cake, so it was a done deal.  With the toddlers eating their lunch, I just added water and got to the mixing and picture taking for your viewing pleasure.  I had hoped to make an amazing Italian Meringue Buttercream from scratch to accompany it, but let's just say...we didn't get there.

Skip to the part where the babies were finished with their lunches, washed up and ransacking the family room.  With a few minutes left for the cake to finish, I took advantage of the time allowance to "help" them tidy up.  This involves a whole lot of me singing and doing huge gestural movements to model the "how to's" of cleaning.  In the end they pass me a couple more and throw the odd toy back into the mix.  Today was a little hairier than usual and while two of us were tidying on one side, two more were dumping on the opposite side.  I lost track of my Angel food cake. 

Lesson learned:

Timing is everything.
I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to wash dishes.  These cupcake pans were a disaster.

Here are the results:

Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake mix.

Love this new measuring cup.  Readable from the inside.

The pan handed down from my Mother in Law.  Recipe called for a 3litre pan, but mine is more of a 1 litre pan.

Whipping it up

I should have just let the babies fingerpaint with this loveliness!

Filled the pan

Had plenty leftover to try these, although there were no cupcake instructions on the box. 

This is the ladle I always use for batter.  The directions specifically said "ungreased pan".

At least I can say we were off to a good start.  The whole process was super quick.

Popped into the oven.

Beginning to rise.  I left to tidy up.

Oops.  Angelfood Jerky.

At least the cake looks good!

Oops, even the cake needed less time.

But it was white on the inside.

And I ate a bunch that I ripped off before chucking the burnt stuff.  Mmmm, warm cake mess goodness.  It's a shame I wrecked it.


1 comment:

  1. Don't let this discourage you, the next time it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete