Have Your Cake & Eat it Too!

As a Mommy of three and wife of 11 years, my daily routine is a whirlwind. In an effort to carve out some "me time" and explore a creative outlet, I have picked up a new hobby. Baking! This blog highlights my journey into baking and chronicles my sporadic adventures.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Snowball Coconut Cupcakes

- Recipe -
Cake
● 1 egg● 3 egg whites
● 1/3 cup cream of coconut (make sure to mix it well in the can)
● 2 T. water
● 1 t. vanilla extract
● 1 cup cake flour
● 1/2 cup sugar
● 1-1/2 t. baking powder
● 1/4 t. salt
● 6 T. butter, cut into small dice
● 1 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut (about 8 ounces)
Coconut Flavored Whipped Cream:
● 1/2 cup heavy cream
● 1 T. sugar
● 1 t. coconut extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
I enjoyed polling my facebook friends to determine what cupcake recipe to try next.  I learned that That Takes the Cake isn't a democracy.  What can I say?  I went with a recipe that I had all of the ingredients for.  Results of the poll to be posted.  Technically this fabulous recipe requires a cream cheese frosting, but I adapted it into a flavoured coconut whipped cream instead because I had whipping cream in the fridge.  These cupcakes are chock full of real coconut and incredibly delicous.
1. In large measuring cup, add whole egg, egg whites, cream of coconut, water & vanilla. Mix together well. Set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixer bowl. Add butter a bit at a time, and mix until butter is pea-sized.
3. With mixer still running, add the egg/cream of coconut mixture. Mix until light and fluffy on medium speed, about 3 minutes. Add shredded coconut and mix until just combined.
4. Divide batter in cupcake pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Cool pan for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to rack to cool completely.
To Make Flavored Whipped Cream:
1. Beat the heavy cream, sugar and extract until soft peaks form.
2. Then spoon or pipe the whipped cream on top of the cupcakes.
Note: If you're going to pipe the whipped cream on, make a double recipe of whipped cream.
When you're ready to frost the cupcakes, put the 1-1/2 cups of coconut into a medium bowl. Frost the cupcakes with the icing, then dip each cupcake, upside down, into the bowl of coconut, making sure to coat the top completely.

Snowball cupcake Ingredients

Make note:  Recipe required Cream of Coconut (thick and textured, used in pina coladas), I used Coconut cream (cream consistency yet flavourful)

Pour wet ingredients into measuring cup

whisk them around

gradually add dice cubes of butter

gradually adding wet ingredientsn to butter and dry ingredients mixture

SO-MUCH-COCONUT!

This is what makes the cupcakes amazing

See how dense the batter is?

This is what I used for icing.  Whipping cream, coconut flav and teeny bit of superfine sugar

Just a small amount.  It whips up nicely.

These are lightly done.  Mommy can't risk burning these or my kids won't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Icing almost complete

SOMEBODY got some cooling racks!

This is what they'll look like dipped in coconut

But be sure to whip your whipped topping to a stiff consistency to hold all that coconut on

Proud to say I took this picture with my chin.

Dip in a bowl of coconut.  Fluff coconut between dips.

PERFECTION

For variety, I piped some whipped cream onto half and sprinkled with coconut for a more mild coat.

The finished batch!

The biggest fan of these cupcakes

My son testing one out

This little lady proceeded to crumble it and throw it all over the floor. 
Don't let that stop you from trying these out.  They're great, despite her masacre of the cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment