Have Your Cake & Eat it Too!

As a Mommy of three and wife of 11 years, my daily routine is a whirlwind. In an effort to carve out some "me time" and explore a creative outlet, I have picked up a new hobby. Baking! This blog highlights my journey into baking and chronicles my sporadic adventures.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dora Fiesta Dress Cake for Claire's 2nd Birthday

Here is the Dora Fiesta Dress cake that I made with my Wilton Wonder Mold pan.
Time to scratch another project off of my list.  Here she is!

I removed my frozen cake from the freezer and let it defrost.  Set it atop a foil covered lazy suzan with parchment paper pieces tucked under it.

The Dora Accessory

The ingredients for Buttercream Icing as specified in my Wilton Basics book.

I went with half butter and half crisco instead of all shortening.  It ended up somewhat soft this way.

Creamed it in my mixer.

Used an old damp dishtowel to keep the icing sugar from flying all over the kitchen.

Looks great!  But I forgot to divide it in two, and mistakenly dyed it all purple so my Fiesta Dress cake was monochromatic. 
There were supposed to be orange ruffles also.

Beginning to apply the icing.

Love the Wilton Icing applicator!

It was 11pm so I decided on an easier version and made these upward pleats instead of filling the entire skirt with piped ruffles.

Bottom ruffles complete.  I added silver balls to make up for my lack of orange icing.

Certainly not perfect but you can see that my piping along the bottom WAS flat before I pulled my paper pieces back out.

Hola Amigos!  Top ruffles complete. 

Stained my hand too.

Special cake for my sweethearts second birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment